Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Thing 10

Wikis are great fun. Our library has one (created by our tech savy BrianL) that we use for staff use. It is great for finding library events, policies, phone numbers, computer helps and frequently used websites. We love that any staff person can make changes or updates to the info on the Wiki. Editing things is so easy. I could see how teachers might like a wiki for use in class projects, giving password assess to anyone who might need or denying access to others. Yes, many teachers/faculty "ban" Wikipedia as a source for student research, just like they "bannned" us of encyclopedias as your primary source when I was in high school. I think that Wikipedia can and should be used. If nothing else the access it gives to users of related links and information is very handy. Any good school teacher or librarian should be teaching their students how to find accurate and reliable sources of information on the internet. Like the information in book, the information is only as perfect as the person who compiled/wrote it.

I did create a 23 things wiki account and added a few words with my name(Lynette the Library Lady) at the end. Like I said at the beginning. Our library has a wiki and I have made changes to that, so this "thing" wasn't hard at all.

No comments: