Thursday, March 20, 2008

Thing 9

I really found not much difference between the two. I think that using this way of document editing, for muliple users who are using a variety of operating systems and word processing software, would be a very good choice. Especially in committee work where members are in different parts of a city, state or even country. For my purposes, here at our library, I don't see much need. We all have access to MS Word and saving documents in a shared folder is quite easy. In fact it makes it quite easy when I am in the graphics room, struggling with the color printer and I can resend a print job from any of my co-workers computers without having to login as myself and going back downstairs.

As far as the Founding Fathers are concerned, I think that they would be very surprised at how much work we put into typing, re-typing, editing, printing and re-printing something. They would have loved to be able to quickly make many copies of an important document. However they most likely would not like the waste of money and paper that occurs when people print and send junk mail, catalogs or other paper documents that people do not want or have any desire to read/use. They would also miss the process of writing by hand. Getting an email or e*card is not like getting that personal note sent by loved ones and friends.

No comments: