Monday, March 17, 2008

Thing 7

Web communications is everywhere. Before I started this job 9 years ago, I didn't even have an email address. Now there isn't a day when I'm not reading, sending or using email. My husband and I use the Mac product 30 Boxes to share our calendar of meetings, appointments, family plans and work schedules. It does interact/sink with my Novell email at work, but at least I can look at our calendar and see if we have any plans for such-n-such a date.

Our library does have a 24/7 IM reference service. I don't know much about how the reference staff coordinates that. I should have a look at that some day. I will periodicly get a question forwarded to me about YA library programs.

As for text and IMing for work or personal use, I haven't really found a need. My nieces and nephews are addicted. Hundreds of minutes are used to text their girl and boyfriends. The slang that is used is hard to keep up with. I even heard of this woman in Japan, who writes books/short stories on her cell phone and text messages everything to her home/work email and then forwards it to a publisher. The interview showed her texting in traffic and while shopping at the mall. Talk about a mobile job.

Webinars are one of the greatest things. I love being able to attend a seminar or class without having to drive all the way to the Twin Cities or other metro area to attend something. I am going to be "attending" a webinar this week about young adult programing through the U of M Extension programs. I did have the option of heading over to the United Way offices to sit with others and watch the session, but I think I will stay right here at my desk and login. Minitex has a long list of courses to take, but they seemed to be very cataloging topic heavy.

No comments: